Monday, August 4, 2008

8th & Final Week

Last week I was completely ready to go home. This is my 11th week in China. I actually miss American food, and I never miss American food. But now that we've reached the final week of the program I'm starting to think about how there's still so much explore in Beijing, places I want to revisit before I leave, people I wish I had gotten to know better, and all the people I'm going to miss...

This past Saturday I visited my language partner's home situated beyond 5th Ring Road, which is a two hour bus ride from Capital Normal University. When we reached the outskirts of the city she commented on how it always "feels" different here compared to the city because it's still so undeveloped. Despite China's rapid development, she feels development outside the city is still painfully slow. She didn't seem to have much optimism for any quick changes, and I wasn't sure what to say, let alone in Chinese, to give her hope.

My language partner's mom cooked some of the best food I've had while I've been in Beijing. I think I'm just tired of eating restaurant food, and it was nice to have a home-cooked meal. I was occupied with Chinese etiquette the entire time I was there though. I wasn't sure whether I was ever violating some sort of visitation rule of which I was not aware. I think I was okay though.

I'm starting to revisit many places over again. I spent most of Sunday at Hongqiao (the Pearl Market) getting gifts for friends. On the way back, my roommate and I stopped by a boba tea stand. The make the best tea... the very same I get in the states. It's best if they use shakers. Yuuum. While there a local college student struck up a conversation with us. I was surprised we were able to carry a conversation as smoothly as we did... er with a few "我听不懂 s" ("I don't understand") in there. I have a Hong Kong (aka Southern China) accent apparently. But I want to sound like a local! I need to figure out what it is that makes me sound Southern...

I've been getting into Chinese music recently. I would appreciate any recommendations you may have. :D

Random places we like to venture to :)

Houhai


Chaoyang Park, the same park where the Olympic beach volleyball games will be played

No comments: