Monday, July 21, 2008

Yalie Weekend

Beijing is transforming right before our eyes. Today was beautiful - clear blue skies with a (relatively) cool breeze. I remember when I first landed in Beijing about eight weeks ago I mistook the polluted skies and air for fog. I was doubtful about whether Beijing would have clear skies by the time the Olympics arrived, but I guess it is possible after all. While all this is preparation for the Olympics is occurring though, I wonder why it takes something as big as the Olympics to encourage people to pay attention to their vices, lack of attention to the environment, for example. Obviously, when Beijing and thus, the rest of China is in the world spotlight they would want others to see the country at its best. But sometimes I still don't understand why for many people preserving the intrinsic value of the environment is not reason enough to take action.

Oh, I realize I sound extremely idealistic...

...

On Friday all the DSIC Yalies met with Zhou laoshi and Dean Gentry for dinner at a nearby restaurant (one of the best I've been to in Beijing...) and simply had a good time discussing how the program is going, exchanging travel stories, and whatnot. We saw them again the next day at Yale Club of Beijing BBQ. Almost every other Yalie on the Light Fellowship also attended, and it was great to see everyone together. Gang (DSIC alum) and Bing who are doing Bulldogs in Shanghai happened to be in Beijing for the weekend so I got to see them as well.


Tonight I went to see "Chun Yu: The Legend of Kungfu" at The Red Theatre. People who've seen the show gave mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. Granted, the English narration and the ending was a bit cheesy, but the show itself with Kungfu, ballet, and stunts was really impressive. Apparently, some of the people in the show actually do practice at the Shaolin Temple. I was most impressed by the kids and their stunts. If you ever get the chance to see this show, you definitely should.


On the way home, Micah, Tess, Ran, and I decided to visit the Bird's Nest and the Bubble Stadium (Is it actually called the Bubble? o_O). So we taxied over there instead of heading straight for Capital Normal. The taxi dropped us off a ways away from the stadiums so we did, now that I think about it, quite some walking. We ended up on a blocked off highway where we were able to see the Bubble Stadium that was lit up blue and just to the right, the Bird's Nest.




Well, that's all for now. Until next time!

No comments: