Monday, August 11, 2008

After 11 Weeks Abroad...

I'm finally home and completely jetlagged. It's 4.30 am in LA and I'm wide-awake. I don't know what to do with myself. Catch up on summer reading I suppose.

I'm going to miss Beijing. I don't feel like I've gotten enough of it yet, despite being there for more than two months. The DSIC Closing Ceremony was sort of overwhelming because it was the last time all the student and teachers were together. The ceremony was held in a Chinese restaurant in the same building as our dorms and classrooms after a buffet lunch. I didn't eat enough though and was hungry afterwards -_- because I was paying too much attention to the slideshow and the student and teacher performances. Everyone said goodbyes afterwards and took a bunch of photos for keepsake. I really like the class photo we received. I only wished everyone all got the memo that this was a 'silly' class picture... people in the back were erm weird while people in the front rows were 比较正式 (more serious... it just sounded better in Chinese).

Some Yalies performing 对面的女孩看过来


Zhou Laoshi, rommie Sunny, me, Chen Laoshi


Cute photo of Arjan, Bao Laoshi, and Roland :)


The day of our Closing Ceremony was also the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics. o8.o8.o8. Some friends and I decided to go to a sports bar or some place with TVs to watch the Opening Ceremony. We ended up by the Silk Market and after a unsuccessful attempt to have dinner at a nearby Mexican restaurant (they ran out of ingredients... o_O) we went to The Place. The Place is a huge mall and right outside the mall is the second largest set of TV screens in the world (the largest set is in Vegas... I'm actually not certain of any of this... it's just what I was told). We ordered some Indian food, took it outside, sat down in a circle and chowed down while watching the Opening. I don't think Chinese locals are used to seeing people behave in such a way and started taking photos of us. We even got interviewed by a local Chinese TV station.


Many people left on Saturday including my roommate who went to Shanghai, and I spent the day picking up last minute gifts for friends and family before finally packing. I was already feel nostalgic thinking about the past eight weeks and all the people I've met even before I left Beijing. Good thing I ran into a bunch of them before they left on Sunday morning.




This summer in China has been an amazing one, and I couldn't have asked for more. I've met so many fun people who have become great friends and had unforgettable experiences. Plus, I was in Beijing during the frenzy of the Olympics!

A deep thank you to the Light Fellowship and it's Trustees for making my summer in China possible. I feel my Chinese had improved tremendously and in such a brief amount of time. I learned a lot and had lots of fun. Thank you, thank you, & thank you. :)

Houhai


Side note: I've also edited some of my previous posts by adding the photos I said I would, albeit a bit late. The Internet in the dorm was terribly slow, and I didn't go to Yolanda after I got a bunch of bug bites the last time I went. Hope you've all enjoyed reading.

No comments: